Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Too Fat for a Bypass

Ok, so I'm too fat for the traditional Gastric Bypass.

I was exactly 400 pounds on the nose and my BMI is 67 which puts me into the Super Super Morbidly Obese category. Didn't know that existed did ya? Well it does and there's actually one more level. A BMI of 70+ is considered Ultra Morbidly Obese.

What the surgeon wants to do with me is to do a Gastric Sleeve, which really just means he wants to remove 85% of my stomach. The plan is for me to do the gastric sleeve, lose 100-150 pounds, then do the actual Gastric Bypass to get me to a normal weight.

Talk about depressing, I never thought I was too big for Gastric Bypass, the thought just didn't occur to me. So next on my list is to schedule my first meeting with the dietitians. I'll post again when I know when that appointment is going to be.

0 comments:

Post a Comment